LOCATION: Broadway, Sydney NSW
CLIENT: University Of Notre Dame
COMMENCEMENT DATE: July 2015
COMPLETED: August 2016
St Benedict’s Catholic Church began construction between 1845 and 1856. The church has had some major reconstructions over the last century and was purchased by the University of Notre Dame in 2006. The heritage-listed building is recognised as one of Sydney’s oldest churches and continues with an active congregation to this day.
HBS began remedial stonework repairs to all the sandstone façades, including the spire and tower, in July 2015.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Replacement of existing stones with new ones and to match existing hairline indent repairs using 200 George St stone to duplicate the heritage fabric. All replacement stones were accurately installed to match original profiles and surface finishes.
- Mortar repairs to the stonework were completed using hand or Fein tools only. This method ensured ample protection of the existing stonework, thereby safeguarding the original stone.
- Repair of the statue on the south-east pinnacle involved: reinstating the head on 10mm diameter with a 316-grade stainless steel pin, mortar repair to the shoulder and filling in of all cracks on the upper torso.
- A replica of the stone finial was used to replace the existing damaged finial, and comprised an eight-sided base and scrolls, with a squared rounded top bunch.
- All timber belltower window shutters and louvres were replaced and made good. This included replacement of timber components, new lead sills and painting of all timber elements.
- New lightning rod system to belltower installed.
- Desalination of stonework.
- Cleaning of stonework.