LOCATION: Hotham St, Elsternwick VIC
CLIENT: National Trust Of Australia
COMMENCEMENT DATE: March 2009
COMPLETED: February 2010
HBS Group proudly undertook the conservation of the intricate conservatory that was used to display the exotic plants of Sir Frederick Sargood – a wealthy Melbourne businessman, politician and philanthropist – so they could be enjoyed by those who sat in the mansion’s drawing room.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Scaffold access internal and external.
- Removed existing planter boxes for refurbishment and replacement.
- Soda blast removal of paint over interior and exterior of fan light windows and treatment of corrosion.
- Repaired broken members of fanlight windows with glass to match original.
- Removed and realigned guttering, ensuring removal of all paint and treatment of corrosion.
- Removed glass roofing to allow for replacement of delaminated glazing bars, putty and glass.
- Bands and decorative elements on columns and finials were gilded in 23ct gold.
- Installed structural steel supports to basement.
- Painted all internal and external surfaces.