LOCATION: Melbourne, VIC 3000
CLIENT: Marriner Group
COMMENCEMENT DATE: January 2018
COMPLETED: January 2019
HBS Group were appointed as the Head Contractor to repair the façade and undertake conservation works to one of Melbourne’s iconic buildings, the Princess Theatre, dating back to 1854. The project was very important for the client (Marriner Group) as they were scheduled to show the International Harry Potter Production, providing them with both National and International exposure of the Princess Theatre.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Demolition works.
- Roof Works – Cleaning, Biocide, Slate patch repairs.
- Rainwater Goods Works – Internal Guttering, weathering cap, downpipes and rainwater associated works.
- Metal Works – New metal works, pressed metal and signage Princess Theatre restoration and repairs.
- Render Works – Pressed cement and render repair works.
- Brickwork – Dismantling & rebuilding parapet works, repointing, brick replacement and brick structural crack repairs.
- Stonework – Resetting stone.
- Joinery Works – Window, Door, timber crown steeple pole repairs.
- Painting works – Preparation, stripping and painting metal/cast iron works and timber.
- Stripping iconic statues angel, lion and crest repainting in gold/silver dust paint and gold/silver leaf application.
- Stained glass window works.
- The repairs consisted of erecting a steel gantry on the pavement outside the theatre allowing stair access, to gantry level accommodating site amenities, scaffold and materials handling to occur whilst the public went about their day beneath, unobstructed.
- Scaffold access was designed to minimise any impact to neighboring businesses, to ensure minimal masonry fixings into the façade occurred.
- Scaffold structural loads were transferred directly onto the footpath through the awning and scaffold bridges designed to link the gantry to the façade scaffold.
- HBS Group managed all works to occur whilst the Theatre and adjoining businesses continued to operate.