LOCATION: Cnr of Swanston and Collins Street, Melbourne, VIC 3000
CLIENT: City of Melbourne
COMMENCEMENT DATE: May 2020
COMPLETED: August 2021
Melbourne Town Hall, located in the heart of the city, is a beautiful heritage building which officially opened in August 1870. The original Town Hall was completed in 1854 but was later demolished to give way to a grander Town Hall. It was then named ‘Prince Alfred’s Tower’ after the Duke of Edinburg who laid the foundation stone in November 1867.
The Melbourne Town Hall and Administration buildings required repairs and upgrades to the roof, façade and stormwater discharge system to prevent future stormwater damage and increase capacity for a changing climate. In mid 2020, HBS were engaged to complete these roof rectification, facade and stormwater upgrades.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Works undertaken within very busy central CBD location.
- Staged works to minimise public impact.
- Town Hall & Administration Offices maintained operations throughout the works.
- Scaffolding & printed scaffold wrap erected to suit staging plans ensuring pedestrian access was not affected.
- CCTV investigation of downpipes, relining and misc repairs.
- Electrostatic testing of rooftop waterproofing membranes and associated repairs.
- Removal of all redundant non-fixed and non-use services including cables.
- Slate & Zinc roof replacement to Mansard/ Turret roofs, including structural carpentry works and replacement/ repairs to rainwater goods and flashings.
- Repairs and painting to cast iron crestings and flag poles.
- Removal and reinstatement of existing roof access systems and re certification upon completion.
- Replacement of glass Leadlight protection over the Yarra Room lift lobby, including management of Client Nominated Contractor to reinstate original stained glass skylight in lift lobby.
- Internal works (roof drainage) Installation of new internal down pipes including boxing in, painting, removal and reinstatement of ground floor tiling/ carpets and structure to accommodate inground drainage.
- External works (roof drainage) Excavation from building façade to street connection on Swanston St, including reinstatement of paving and all associated pedestrian and traffic management.
- Façade rectification works (render repairs, painting, stone repairs, indents, leadwork, pointing and cleaning).