LOCATION: 3 Joyton Avenue, Zetland NSW
CLIENT: City of Sydney
COMMENCEMENT DATE: August 2013
COMPLETED: August 2014
The Green Square Infrastructure Centre (GIC) is located on the site of the former Royal South Sydney Hospital in Zetland. The project involves the adaptive re-use of the former hospital administration building, a heritage-listed 1913 brick structure, into a tri-generation power plant and stormwater recycling facility. Its conversion will make the GIC the heart of the green infrastructure for the Green Square Town Centre and be a showcase project for the City of Sydney’s 2030 Vision for a sustainable Sydney.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- Disconnect and make safe existing services.
- Provide scaffold access to the perimeter of the building.
- Demolition works to existing roofs, external and internal brick and block walls, remove the existing floor slabs and timber floors while protecting the structural adequacy of the existing building.
- Rebuild external walls with salvaged bricks.
- Install new lintels.
- Board up and seal all windows as documented with resin ply and sealant to protect the windows in preparation for following works.
- Retain nominated building elements specifically those of heritage significance, including salvaged bricks, timber floors, structural timbers and existing sandstone.
- Excavation, earthworks and underpinning works in and around the existing building.
- Protection measures to retain the heritage features of the existing building.
- Refurbish the internal contract area of the building, including new code-compliant amenities, refurbish all corridors, refurbish all new office spaces and the new plant rooms for the buildings new purpose. Works included, make good brick walls with salvaged bricks, install new lintels, new render/plaster to walls, partitions walls, refurbish timber sash windows, new doors and hardware, new electrical, mechanical, fire and hydraulic services, waterproofing, tiling, joinery, carpentry and painting.
- Protect adjacent buildings during construction.
- Concrete works – new topping slab and slabs to ground and first floors.
- Facilitate recycled water and associated services access into the building (recycled water works done by others).