LOCATION: Bendigo VIC 3550
CLIENT: City of Greater Bendigo
COMMENCEMENT DATE: May 2017
COMPLETED: November 2017
The Alexandra Fountain was named in honour of Alexandra, Princess of Wales circa 1881. It is one of Bendigo’s significant landmarks and is listed on the Victorian Heritage Register. The fountain previously had major works undertaken in 2010 and required a face-lift to bring it back to life. HBS Group were appointed as the Head Contractor to complete restoration and conservation works.
HIGHLIGHTS/SCOPE OF WORKS:
- HBS Group used a Burra Charter approach to restore the local icon and secure the historical materials/structure fabric.
- The project was successfully completed with minimal impact to the public.
- Specialised trades such as solid plasterers, stone masons, bricklayer, metal workers, plumbers, electricians, and painters were used on the project.
- Restoration/conservation works included:
- Render and Stone works
- Metal works– restoration of the balustrade fence
- Painting works – Preparation, stripping and painting metal/cast iron
- Stripping iconic statues repainting
- Gold leaf application to letters and lamp post crowns
- Repairs to the horses
- Replacing the fountain’s water works