The standards on the GPO building were established by the best artisans circa 1859–1907. However, in 2012 HBS Group proudly embarked on the journey to maintain the historic façade of the ‘heart of the city’ by restoring its original features while fitting a state-of-the-art lighting system that would highlight the building’s architectural features.
Innovative design of gantry and scaffold access without the use of tie points across the 4000m² façade – except for one fixing attached above and below each of the four clock faces.
Designed and constructed a temporary roof as part of the scaffold system.
Installed a roof-access scaffold over the central glass atrium to house site amenities.
Sourced, selected and procured the Grampians sandstone, ensuring the new sandstone was selected for its quality and likeness to the original.
Indents, ashlars and carved stones installed within a range of 1mm. Carved stone was precisely replicated from the original.
Leadsheet roofing, gutters and leadsheet cornice stone cappings individually measured, cut, moulded, folded and welded into place in exactly the same way as the original lead.
Cast-iron cresting and pedestals removed and restored, and defective pieces re-patterned, moulded and cast.
Replaced 25% of the existing roof timbers, much of which required machine and hand shaping to suit the many different profiles.
Replaced window frames and sashes, including round and curved designs with intricate joints; they were machined and refitted.
Individually shaped, coloured and curved low iron float glass panes were hand made, fired and carefully installed in the clock-face frame and window sashes. Brass screws for the clock-face glazing bars were of an obsolete shipwright or gunsmith’s gauge. Existing domed-head samples were digitally scanned and perfectly replicated.
Upgrade of the lighting-control system to Dynalite by LightMoves, removing all existing redundant internal and external cabling and installing new cabling; installing and connecting new DMX-controlled luminaires.