The John Gorton Building (JGB) was designed in 1924, but construction only began in 1957 due to the economic downturn. The JGB was finished in 1959 and provided accommodation for many government agencies thereafter. The JGB is on the Commonwealth Heritage List in recognition of its heritage value. The JGB is currently owned and occupied by the Department of Finance on behalf of the Commonwealth Government. The polished red granite and sandstone cladding characterise the large simplistic yet classical façade.
In order to maintain the performance of the building, the Department of Finance had the need for specialist advice on the stone conservation works to ensure the building’s existence for many years to come. HBS was engaged to carry out the stone conservation works.
The project is divided into seven stages due to the sheer size of the JGB. The works include:Provide safe access to all stone and granite elements on the building.
Remove asbestos containing mortar, pointing, grouts and sealant to stone and granite elements.
Stone conservation works include: cleaning of the façades, full stone replacements, stone indents, redressing of stone, desalination, mortar repairs and re-pointing.
Replacement of lead weatherings.
Repairs to existing rainwater goods.
Provide temporary services to carry out the works.